Art at Harlyn
The Art curriculum focuses on engaging, inspiring and challenging children creatively, enabling them to express and develop their own ideas and become active participants in the creative world.
Our goal is to guarantee that every student produces original, imaginative work. Children can investigate their ideas, keep a journal of their experiences, examine the works of others, and assess various creative concepts. The techniques of drawing, painting, and sculpting, as well as other chosen craft skills, such collage, printing, weaving, and patterns, will help pupils develop their self-assurance and skills. Children will expand their knowledge of well-known designers, artists, and craftspeople. Through a sequence of sessions that give skills advancement and knowledge progression, children will also increase their interest in and curiosity about art and design. Children will have the opportunity to express their emotions through art during the courses, which will improve their emotional, social, and personal growth.
Our lessons enable children to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design. Children should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
• Over the academic year, children will receive approximately 34 hours of high-quality teaching in each year group which allows children to make progress and build on prior skills across each key stage.
• Artistic literacy is reinforced across the curriculum to improve children’s skills and enhance their learning across the curriculum but particularly in History, Geography, Science and Maths.
• Observational and creative thinking skills are encouraged within lessons and are present in the attitude’s children display in other curriculum areas.
• Children’s work is kept in sketch books which travel with them through their Primary school journey, larger pieces are displayed throughout the school.
• Throughout their life at Harlyn Primary School, Pupils will take part in whole school art projects.
• Staff will organise trips to link with our Art and Design curriculum.
• Staff will be supported in CPD in Art and Design.
Art and design learning are loved by teachers and pupils across school. All children use technical vocabulary accurately and pupils are expected to know, apply and understand which material, skills and processes to use in creating art. Children improve their enquiry skills and inquisitiveness about the world around them, and their impact through art and design on the world. Children will become more confident in analysing their work and giving their opinion on their own and other works of art. Children show competences in improving their resilience and perseverance by continually evaluating and improving their work. All children in school can speak confidently about their art and design work and their skills.