We are looking forward to an exciting year ahead in Nursery. Our topic this half term is ‘Me and My Home’.
Sound of the week
We will be learning about…
Thursday 6th January (first day back)
Welcome back to Nursery
Making new friends at Nursery
What we did in the holidays
All about me
Naming body parts
Counting and recognising numbers
Name recognition and writing
Different types of home
My family and community
Counting and recognising numbers
In the garden
Lists of things we have in the garden/park
Recognising fruits and vegetables
Using tools safely
Planting and growing
Chinese New Year
(No Nursery on Friday 11th February due to teacher training day)
People who help us
We will be learning about people who help us at home and in the community.
Library: please send in your child’s book bag on a Wednesday only so that we can change their library book - we cannot give out a new library book unless the previous one is returned. The school charges £3 for any lost library books.
Additional hours: please note that additional hours for current Nursery children begins on Thursday 6th January. Additional hours for new children will begin on Monday 17th January subject to your child having settled.
Things you can do at home to support your child:
· Help your child practise recognising and writing the letters in their name.
· Mark making and practise letter formation. This could be by drawing the letter in the air, in sand, painting or using a pencil.
· Take your children to the library.
· Share books, discuss the story, characters and talk about their feelings.
· Help your child to count how many times the sound of the week appears on a page.
· Find objects at home that begin with the sound of the week.
· Informally point out numerals around them i.e. on clocks, calculators, remote controls, buses, phones etc.
· Practise number formation in the air, in sand, painting or using a pencil.
· Count steps, coins, family members and places at the dinner table.
· Find shapes in the environment, e.g. on road signs or houses.
Please note: just a reminder that the morning session starts at 8.30am (please arrive no later than 8.50am) and finishes at 11.30am. The afternoon session starts at 12.30pm and finishes at 3.30pm (you can pick up from 3.15pm). Please ensure that your child is on time for Nursery so that they do not miss important teaching time.
Uniform: please ensure that all of your child’s clothing is labelled - including shoes, coats, gloves, hats, scarves, lunchboxes, and bags, as unfortunately items do go missing. Please keep your child’s spare clothes bag on their peg and it will be sent home for the holidays.
Water bottles: Please send in a named water bottle each day.
Milk: if you would like your child to have free milk at school please sign up at www.coolmilk.com.
Lunches: If your child is staying for lunch please note that we are a healthy school. Please DO NOT send in fizzy drinks, chocolate bars, sweets or whole nuts and grapes must be cut in half. For example, please send in:
· savoury option such as a sandwich or filled wrap
· fresh or dried fruit and/or vegetable
· a bottle of water
· savoury biscuits, cheese pieces or yoghurt.
Please note that we do not have facilities to heat up food or keep it cool.
Nursery’s last day is Thursday 10th February. Nursery will reopen after the half term break on Monday 21st February.
Thank you for all your help and support,
The Nursery Team